Sunday, July 24, 2011

Battle of the Pouillys


Can I tell the difference between an oak treated Chardonnay and an oak treated Sauvignon Blanc?  It's the battle of the Pouillys!  This is one of the ubiquitous questions we ask on job applications for servers.  And the answer is so obvious on paper, different grapes, different places...but can you pick 'em blind?

Lesee, and to make it a bit more interesting, I've added a wine from the village just across the river from Pouilly Fume, Sancerre.  The wines of Sancerre are also made with Sauv Blanc in a flinty, mineral style, and may, or may not be oaked.

Well, I got it wrong.  All three were good, by the way.  The Sancerre turned out to be oaked, so it wasn't easy to strip out from the other two.  It was flinty and lovely, and I thought it was fume.  The Fume was really crisp and lighter in body, with more tropical notes.  From my reading, I thought that was backwards.  The Fuisse I had picked out so easily from last tasting...well I couldn't pick a chard out of a sauv group.

More study.  More tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment